Friday, July 16, 2010

Big Bowl of Crazy.

Life has been moving so fast, I haven't had a chance to stop and think about everything I'm doing. I am in New York City, working for Macy's. I'm one of only 4 design interns, and I'm working with an amazing team. I am going to interview for another internship with them, and hopefully eventually a job.

The real world is heading for me like an express train.

My days have been filled with work, commuting, and sleep, and that's pretty much it. I was going to go to Long Island this weekend, but I'm so burnt out, I decided not to go. Instead, after work I went to a fabulous little fabric shop on 40th. I love working in the Garment District. It's magical. I'm trying to get things together for Rock the Runway, which is going to be far sooner than I'd like. But it will be good, because it's going to get everyone excited about the program. While in the store, I realized I had no idea what I wanted to do. I'm mentally and emotionally drained, and my personal creativity has been pulled in so many different directions, I have none left for RTR. But, as quickly as that notion came, it went. I was recharged by being surrounded by awesome fabric, and I decided what I want to do. I'm going to go back next week to get some yardage.

After that, I decided to finally go to Re-Dress, a plus size vintage boutique in Brooklyn. I hopped the F downtown to Bergen St, and it was only 2 blocks up. They had a really large selection, but not much of it was really my style. I tried on a few things, but didn't get anything. If there are any plus beauties in NY debating going, I definitely say go for it. They really do have something for just about everyone, and it's really reasonably priced. And they don't have just vintage...I'd really call it more of a thrift store, because their vintage selection is not as predominant as their modern pieces.

From there, I caught the F back uptown to Bryant Park. I wasn't really sure where I was going, but I decided to check out the new Forever 21 in Times Square. Holy good grief. Four floors of MADNESS. I made my way to the Faith 21 section, which had the largest selection of any F21 I've ever been to. But, with four floors, you might as well. I tried on a few things, but didn't really like anything. The more I dive into design, the less I want to buy crappily made clothing. Yes, F21 is on trend and cheap, but that five dollar top looks like it cost five dollars. Which is not good. I looked at the jewelry, but again, so cheap. From there, I walked down 6th to Macy's. Oh Macy's. I had yet to shop there at all! So I made my way there, then realized all I had eaten today was a granola bar, and it was almost 4 o'clock. So I went down to the Cellar and grabbed a sandwich and some tea. A really zealous baker man tried to sell me some blondies. He was really energetic, it was cute. So I sat and ate, then made my way to the handbags, realized I didn't need any more, so I moved on to the 7th floor, aka plus size central (not really, i made that up). I tried on a lot of stuff, and some of it was really bad. I sat in on a plus fit initiative, and it's really interesting to see what designers think the plus size woman wants. Some of them are plus size themselves, so I really question why it's such a laborious process. Everyone says we're hard to design for, but honestly, we're not. Yes, we all have different body types, but there has been so much research done on each one, you can pinpoint what looks good and what doesn't.

Okay, end soapbox. That's the market segment I plan to take over.

So I picked up a few things from INC and Calvin Klein, then I spotted the new American Rag Junior Plus section, which took over Michael Kors' coveted spot right across from the dressing rooms. Oooooooh American Rag. We learned the history of it today, which I think gave me an even greater respect for it. So I picked through there, and there were SO many pieces I loved. I tried on a few, and ended up getting a top and a dress from there, and a top from CK. Then I got indecisive on floors, ended up going up and down, then landed on the fourth floor in front of the straight size American Rag. Found a necklace I LOVE. Then I found a present for my mom, then I checked out. I have to say, Herald Square cashiers are cranky, cranky people. Except the lady I did a TON of returns with this afternoon. She was amazing. Anywho. Bought those, then caught my usual trains back to Passaic. Since I got home, I've watched tv, freaked out trying to find my Adobe dvds, pulled out all of my suitcases to try to start packing, and talked to my mom while she listened to me have a complete meltdown.

It's been fun.

NOW FOR SOME PICTURES.

actually, just kidding. This post is long enough. I'll make it a separate post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics