Sunday, March 27, 2011

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap."

I wrote an uber long blost post pertaining to this, but I think short and sweet should work.

Why I, Theresa Mince, will not be voting in this Honors College Assembly election.

I am the current Honors College Assembly treasurer. I have known Michael for a while now, and he is a great friend. He has done a lot of hard work as the Student Involvement director, and put on some rockin' tailgates. He attends all of the meetings, and is very aware of how HCA currently works.

I do not know Sarah. I was recently informed that she works in the Honors College office. Having worked there since freshman year, I probably should have known that. I cannot vouch for any of her qualities. From checking out contact sheet, I learned that she was the Co-Chair of Event Coordinating for Civic Engagement? I believe that's what it was. Please don't quote me on that.

As an office worker in Nott Hall, I have seen campaign flyers printed using Honors College supplies. That is not allowed. As someone who deals with the budget, I think we should be reimbursed for the resources they used. As an institution, the Honors College does not endorse one candidate over the other, so one should not be able to use our resources for free while the other pays for his.

As a CBHer, I do not like to be interrupted in my computer lab by non-CBHers relabeling water bottles with campaign slogans. I do not like them again using Honors College and CBH resources for something that does not work to benefit CBH in any way. As a CBH student, I have the PRIVILEGE of printing things in the lab. It's something I earn through my hard work and dedication to the program. As a whole, CBH does not support one candidate over the other, so one should not be able to use our resources for free while the other pays for his.

As an HCA officer, and a part of the original planning committee for the organization, I am deeply saddened by the way our original goals and guidelines have been ignored. Elections were meant to run with clear rules, and everyone in the Honors College is meant to be aware of the process. Stickers were not supposed to be allowed, and other students should have been allowed to run. After repeatedly raising these concerns, I have been rebuked on several occasions.

As an enjoyer of clean wall space, I have found my eyes assaulted with large, full color posters featuring the faces of both of the presidential candidates. In case I couldn't read the poster that is at eye level, no worries; there is another six inches below it! And above it!

As a user of the Nott Hall restrooms, I have found myself uncomfortable as one of the candidates peers at me creepily from a poster as I try to use my public restroom privileges. (That one was too creepy. I shouldn't be campaigned at as I try to use the restroom.)

As a general Honors College student, I am disappointed by the way things have turned out. What was meant to be an all-inclusive organization has become another avenue for the elitist attitudes of a select few. I find myself counting the days until I am free of my commitment to the Honors College Assembly. Not because I do not enjoy this direct connection to the Honors College, and the great opportunities I have had to connect with Honors College students, but because I have been continually silenced in my quest for open and honest communication. They will be days I will watch this new officer group take over, and hopefully pull the HCA plane up from the nose dive it will take if the shady political tactics continue. Yes, you want to beat out our opponent, but you don't want to make enemies while doing so.

In the end, whoever wins will be president. Whoever loses will probably be a director. Do you really want to mock and ridicule someone you will be working closely with in the near future?

So, ladies and gents, I leave you with this, my reason for not voting. Sure, I could tell you which I think may do a better job. But I won't. I oppose the way these elections came about, and I believe it unfair that many deserving Honors College students were barred from entering the race. I cannot bring myself to have a hand in deciding the future of this organization. I find the direction it is currently facing to be one of elitism and poor communication.

3 comments:

  1. True words, you should post this to the paper T, no lie, especially since the candidates decided that HCA elections are campus news worthy and that the student body gives a ripppp about their platform. Seriously though T, send it in to the editor! quick quick
    RogPog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with you; I really think the way the whole organization was created and forced down our throats didn't do anything but create a thinly veiled attempt to replace one elitist group with another

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Analytics