Thursday, June 23, 2011

“To get through the hardest journey we need take only one step at a time, but we must keep on stepping.”

Mass transit is out to get me.

No, but really. It is.

Yesterday...

Let's see. I went in late to make up for staying late, but somehow managed to leave too early so I ended up short on hours. My brain was not in the mood for math and the clocking thing was being dumb. AWESOME.

Once I got in, I spent several hours sorting returns and trying to find receipts. I also spent time on the fit book and FINALLY managed to track down that tunic. Huzzah! I went to Macys and used my no nonsense stare down to get a manager to let me do the returns without any trouble. Remind me to show you that stare down sometime. It's INTENSE.

After work, I went to see two apartments. Amber was supposed to go with me, but she didn't feel well, so Alanna met me at 86th. We went to the first one, advertised as an artist's place with like 7 rooms and a great place for creativity. We were greeted by a very nice guy, though he was either stoned or THE most mellow guy I've ever met in my entire life. He gave us a tour of this RIDICULOUSLY large apartment. It would have been beautiful had it not been covered in things that should have been put/thrown away at least a decade ago. I'm assuming it was some rent controlled miracle situation because I believe his grandparents owned it previously. The room I would be renting was HUGE and had it's own bathroom and A/C. The people living there were all singers/songwriters/composers/photographers/etc etc. If I weren't working 40 hours a week, I think I would be up for the adventure of living there. It is an absolutely ridiculous set up, with the guy teaching piano lessons, them having weekly musical events in the living room, and just the strangest mix of activities I've ever seen. If I were here just to do my own creative thing, I would have been all over it. However, I'm working corporate at the moment and I'm too drained by the end of the day to deal with so many people. It also made me nervous how many people come and go. I'd worry about my stuff all day.

Alanna was in love with the building, but horrified by the guy and the apartment. I found this amusing. Hehe.

Next, we took a few trains to get to Union Square. We grabbed dinner at Chipotle, which was WAY more expensive than in Alabama, or even in Midtown. Ridiculous. But anyway. When we left, we saw the Korilla truck and Wafel truck. I was like dang! we could have had a waaay better, cheaper dinner. But oh well, such is life.

From there we headed to the next apartment to see. It's literally like a block and a half from Union Square, which would be an amazing location. The apartment was described as "Escher-esque" which was completely accurate. It had a bunch of random levels. It was a 2 bedroom that was turned into a 4 with one bathroom. It was cute and all, but I just wasn't feeling it. It was pretty expensive, too.

After that, I left Alanna to buy shoes and groceries and I headed to the metro to head back to Jersey. I went down into the underbelly of hell, hopped on the Q downtown, then realized I NEEDED TO GO UPTOWN. And you know what the Q is? That's right folks, it's an express train. Four stops later, I'm at Prince Street, walking a million miles in the underbelly to finally make it to the other side to go UPTOWN. I get on the R because it's the first one to come. You know what the R is not? An express train. It stops at EVERY station, and sometimes in between just for the hell of it. Fifty thousand years later, I make it to Herald Square and walk to Penn Station. The next train to Secaucus doesn't come for another 30 minutes, meaning the next train I can catch out of Secaucus is the 10:08, an hour or so later. Ughhhh. I finally get to Secaucus and sit for a long while on a bench, frustrated. Luckily, I borrowed The Help from Lauren and got to distract myself with reading.

When I got home, I went straight to bed. Well, I talked to Mom for a bit then went to bed. Last night was not a good night for me. I was extremely frustrated, hot, tired, and not dealing with things well.

And then dawned a new day. Still frustrated, still exhausted, but at least well air conditioned, I tried to have a sunnier disposition today. That is, until I got to Secaucus, saw every train was at least 45 minutes late, and had to fight my way onto the train against a guy with one of those damn rolling briefcases. PICK IT UP!

But I digress. I get on the train and think hm, it's really warm in here. And it's kind of dark. I sit down next to a large balding man in a suit who is hemming and hawing over his blackberry. As I settle in with my book, the conductor comes over the loud speaker to explain that if they turn the air or lights on in this train, the engine will shut down. If we would like to wait for an indefinite amount of time for the next train, we are more than welcome to step off. Oy. So I try to stay as still as possible so as to not agitate the humidity triggers in my hair that feel that moisture and say WE'RE FREEEEE and make my hair fro-esque.

As we progress, SLOWLY, towards NY, blackberry man is not having a pleasant experience. He continues to sigh, shift uncomfortably, and reach behind his back the entirety of the ride. I try to ignore him and distract myself with my book, but his discomfort begins to make me uncomfortable. As soon as we hit Penn, I bolt for the door. And by bolt I mean I stand up and wait for 10 minutes behind rolly briefcase guy as we inch towards the escalator.

Once I got to work, I knew we needed to do all of the returns. I also knew it was supposed to pour today. Lauren and I work on some other things, I FINALLY get the tunic in the mail, and then we are off to the stores. We spent several hours out, but we had quite the adventure. We got free ice cream outside Manhattan Mall, almost got mauled by Bieber fans at Macy's, and were within close proximity to Daniel Radcliffe at Lord & Taylor.

All by complete accident.

I didn't know Biebs was coming to Macy's until the day before yesterday. Apparently he made a women's fragrance? Because a 17 year old pop singer knows how ladies want to smell. Actually, a 17 year old pop singer can tell 13 year old girls how they want to smell. So I guess it's a good idea.

But the Biebs fans, man. They're rough. Apparently there was crying, screaming, and someone rushed him and freaked him out. Oh boy.

The free ice cream was from USA network to promote their new series Suits. I'm realizing now that must have also been why they were selling men's suits for $20 yesterday in that same spot. I really should have bought one.

And then we get to Lord & Taylor and there's a HUGE crowd outside. We were like oh shoot, what is going on? We get closer and see advertising for How to Succeed in Business all over the windows. We go inside, and there is a mass of people taking pictures of someone by the Clinique products. Weird. We ask who it is and some girl is like IT'S DANIEL RADCLIFFE, DUH. And we're all, rude. But cool. They all squeal as he walks outside to talk to...I don't know, really. The crowd wasn't THAT big.

But anyway. We got free chocolate as we left, and the stage had already been torn down. Short appearance, I guess.

As we walked back, it began to downpour. NOOOOOOO. We ducked under an awning and the lovely man in the building told us it was much more comfortable inside. So we stood in the lobby of an apartment building for a while. I had an umbrella, but Lauren didn't. Then we realized the guy next door was selling them. She didn't want to pay too much, so I told her to just offer him five bucks. She goes out and comes back with an umbrella. I ask how much and she says, "three dollars." WHAT?! That's unheard of when it's a downpour. But that was neat. So we make our way back to 11 Penn, soaked and exhausted. I spent the rest of the day filing, printing dev sheets and sorting things. I had to stay later today, but thank goodness I did because they threw a surprise fitting on us for tomorrow so I was able to get everything ready for that.

Tomorrow is a really important meeting and I'm sad I won't be there for it. But I get to spend half the day with the other private brands interns and half the day working on that final project.

Oh boy.

Oh, my outfits the past few days have been quite boring and not at all new. Tuesday was exactly like that black and white DB dress, but it was green black and white flower pattern on top. Wednesday was my lovely amazing I love it so much black Calvin Klein dress. I love dresses with pockets. And today was the floral cotton DB dress that has the full skirt. Puuurdy.

So there you have it. Tomorrow is Lauren's birthday, so Prescella and I are going to take her out for lunch after work. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics