Tuesday, March 15, 2011

“The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.”

Ah, Spring Break. The time when college kids run off to the beach, get hammered, and fall off of things.

Just kidding.

For me, Spring Break is coming home and spending every day for a week straight trying to catch up on all the homework I have to do. How relaxing.

Mom flew up to Bham on Wednesday night. God bless Dan Gerber, he went and picked her up because I had class when her plane got in. She picked me up after class and we went back to my apartment. Spent the night cleaning and packing. Helped Clay go over his presentation, then cleaned and packed some more.

We left Thursday morning around 7:30. It only took about 7 hours to get to North Carolina, so that wasn't too bad. Spent Thursday through Saturday hanging out with Marika and gang. It's always so nice to see them. On Thursday on the way there, we went to the Women's League thrift store, which happens to be my favorite thrift store EVER. And what do you know, they are having a NINETY PERCENT OFF sale. AHHH. I was so excited. They were trying to get rid of all of their fall stuff to bring in spring. I got a bunch of fabric and some clothes for my CBH presentation. They had a lot of their spring stuff on a rack behind the counter, and they saw me eyeing it. I've bonded with the ladies who run it several times, and we always talk about fashion design and whatnot. Because of this, they let me flip through the spring racks, and I freaked out. Apparently, a woman whose sister passed away brought in a ton of her old dresses. They were vintage, American-made BEAUTIES. Talk about inspiration. I bought up a good portion of the dresses, and mom and I were on our way.

OH wait. I also got the COOLEST old garment bag EVER. It's purple and pinstriped and leather and AMAZING. And I think I paid 80 cents for it. YES. The ladies made up a good back story for it when I asked about its history. hahha

Anywho. Then we were on our way. The weekend was filled with fixing doors, fixing toilets, and spending time with my cousins. I also had to protect Tux from the killer dogs, which resulted in me being a tiny tent and setting it up in my cousin's bedroom. Talk about crazy person. But it kept him safe, so that works. 

We left Saturday, after a day of burning stuff. We left close to 5 in the afternoon and didn't get home until 3 am. Thank you, spring forward. I got pretty loopy during the trip. Some guy in the Wendy's drive thru decided to honk at me. SO. ANGRY. I yelled a lot.

Sunday I worked on my CBH database ALL. DAY. It was....great.

Yesterday, Meagan and I went to St. Augustine. It's about a 3 hour drive from here, and we decided to take a day trip. We left at 6 am (sleep and I haven't been friends lately, obviously.) and got to Vilano Beach around 9:30. Spent the next 3 hours sun bathing and watching the waves, because it was a liiittle too cold for the water. Well, I went in. But I'm crazy. After that, we headed downtown for lunch and shopping. After walking everywhere, discovering Revista had closed and Anchor was closed on Mondays, I was so sad. But we ended up at A1A Ale Works for lunch, which was delicious. And we got to sit outside. The weather was absolutely perfect. I got a yummy tuna steak sandwich and Meagan got a chicken sandwich. It was yummy and so fun to sit and watch the water and the fort.

From there, we walked around a bit more, went to a few stores, and bought a few books. Tried on some Chacos, realized there's NO way I could live with myself if I wore them, discovered Keens, and decided I could live with those because they are adorable. After that, we headed out across the Bridge of Lions. We were going to go to Anastasia Island State Park, but decided to explore St. Augustine Beach, because I've never been there. It's a public beach, with beach access much like Jax Beach; you park on a side road, hop down some wooden stairs and BAM! beach. There were a good bit of people there, but NOTHING like Clearwater. I kind of hate Clearwater. I got in the water for a bit, then we laid in the sun for a few hours and watched people play frisbee, baseball, and surf. It was fun. After that, it was back downtown for us.

We parked off of Hypolita and went in search of the Vera store. It had closed, too! St. Augustine storefronts have changed A LOT over the past year. We walked around for an hour or so, grabbed pretzels at Der Pretzel Haus, then sat for a while. We ran into the one plus size shop in St. Augustine, which is totally awful and I laugh every time I go in there. Unfortunately, the owner was like, "hey a fat girl!" and made me try a bunch of ugly things on. Ughhh. She was scary. Poor Meagan got pulled around the store grabbing things for me to try on. I yelled, "We have to go!" and we booked it out of there. Good grief.

After walking some more, ice cream and coffee were had, then we decided to head home around 8. I remembered how amazing the carousel was, so we ran over to the park before we left. It was the PERFECT end to the day. I love it. It's an outdoor carousel right at the 1/A1A split. Hehe. The drive home wasn't too bad, and we passed out as soon as we got back.

Today, I am going to TRY to finish my CBH database. The rest of the week will be spent on my CBH presentation, CAD project, Draping presentation, Apron collection, world lit homework, and Tee Time. I won't be sleeping for the next two months.

Pictures!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics