Sunday, October 24, 2010

Thread, friends, henna, lovely night

No one really tells you just how expensive being a fashion design major is. I mean, even if you want to do the bare minimum, it's still a good bit. But if you want to actually make something of yourself, holy moly look out. You need those prismacolor markers and colored pencils, the sewing machine, the sketch pads, the trash paper, the fabric, some more fabric, some more fabric, some trim, more trim, lots of thread, needles, thimble, bobbins, and the list goes on and on. Each time you have an assigment, you can't just go print it at the library. You need to buy the fabric and all of the notions, then spend the time actually making it. It has to be good, it has to be creative, and it has to be unique.

I've been working on Rock the Runway for a while now, and it's amazing the amount of money I've put into it. There was the initial huge purchase of all of the fabric, then we moved on to trims, and lots of them. Once you have all of that, you're done, right? Nope. Then you need accessories. Or in my case, $50 worth of henna ink. Yep. Those unforeseen crazy purchases.

How do you justify spending so much? You have to think of it as an investment. You are investing in your future. I know I didn't have to spend $50 on henna ink, and the line would look just fine without it, but I'm investing in something to make it stand apart, and to show people how creative I can be. It's that something extra that gets you the jobs, and gets you the attention.

Once you realize you are investing in your future (I know how cliche that sounds, but it really is true.) you want to make that investment matter. Then you start the huge investment of your time. You give up Saturday nights to stay in and sew, you give up sleep to get the rest of your school work done. Because oh yeah, did I mention you're still a full time student?

I'm trying to get Rock the Runway done, work on my CBH research, and still stay afloat in the rest of my classes. Don't think I'm complaining; I thrive when I'm busy. I just need people to understand that fashion design is a legitimate program, and it keeps us insanely busy. No, I don't have traditional term papers, I have to draft a pattern for a coat, then make it.

Regardless, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, this post is all over the place. It's 1:20 am, what do you want from me?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics