Sunday, January 16, 2011

"Fitness - if it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body."

I think as college students, our health and fitness gets put on the back burner because we genuinely don't have time to focus on it. If you came into college with fitness goals, or a regular routine, it may have been easier for you to keep up with it. When I came to college, I didn't really know what to do. Back home, I played soccer, I went to the gym, and I swam a lot. Coming here, I didn't feel like I was prepared to play on the club soccer team, or even an intramural team. I went to the Rec a few times, but that place can be downright intimidating. And I went to the Rec center pool a few times, but I've always been a little skeeved out by public pools. So that left me confused and not prepared with a regular work out regimen.

I tried to fix that by playing frisbee on the quad, a few pick up soccer games, and going to the Rec intermittently. Overall, though, it wasn't a great plan, and it wasn't helping me to get in shape.

Last year, living in the Retreat, we tried to use the gym more regularly. It was a lot less intimidating, because there weren't as many people there. Mel and I even tried getting up at 6:30 every morning to work out with Jillian Michaels. Now, I think Jillian is fabulous, and she has a nice story and her work outs are amazing, but she will crush your soul. Especially at 6:30 in the morning. So obviously that didn't last very long.

Last semester, I was literally too busy to eat most days, let alone make time for the gym. I didn't sleep for a good portion of the semester, and I was not at all concerned about making time to work out. But this semester, with a new eating plan, it came time for a regular work out plan. With this semester being just as busy as last, if not more so, I recognized that I still wasn't going to make it to the gym. So I asked for a Wii and Wii Fit Plus for Christmas. 



My Wii also came with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, and I got Just Dance 2 the day after Christmas. I know it's nice to go to the gym and use the nice machines, or lift weights, or yada yada, but for me, time constraints make that an unrealistic expectation. And this time it's all about being realistic about my situation. After my mom and I redecorated my apartment (I love you SO MUCH for coming up and helping me, mom. :) ) I set up the Wii in the living room. Friends have come over and played Just Dance 2, because that is SO much fun with other people. And it really is a work out. You will work up a sweat.


Seriously, this game is awesome. And SO much fun. So when friends come over, I like to get up and do that, rather than sitting around. It's a nice way for everyone to get a little work out. Wii Sports and Sports Resort are also great with friends.

But when I am home alone, and I need a daily regimen, I turn to Wii Fit Plus. It is amazing. I am still making my way through all of the features, but for right now I try to use it for at least an hour everyday. The cool thing about Wii Fit Plus is that it tracks your BMI, Weight, how long you have worked out, and how many calories you have burned. It's awesome. It also has things like yoga, aerobics, strength training, and balance training. For my hour, I usually do a mix of the aerobics, strength training, and some of the fun games that are new to Wii Fit Plus.

One of my favorite features, though, is Free Step. You can set a timer of 10, 20, or 30 minutes, then there is a ticking rhythm that comes out of the Wiimote. You change the input of your tv back to cable, and ta da! You can step for 30 minutes while watching your favorite show. It's FANTASTIC! Today, I did an hour of stepping, watched The Mentalist and The Royal Tenenbaums, and burned 400 calories ALL AT THE SAME TIME! There is also a free run option, but running and I aren't quite friends yet. I also don't think my downstairs neighbors would quite appreciate it.

I realize a Wii and Wii Fit Plus are on the pricey side, but think of it as an investment. Yes, the Rec is free, but are you honestly going to drive yourself over there, wait in line for a machine, and battle the sweaty meatheads for some weights? If so, more power to you. I however, plan to stay in the comfort of my own living room. It's also nice because I can get up a little earlier in the mornings before class, have breakfast, work out for an hour, shower, and still get to class on time. It also means I can totally work out in my pajamas, which is always a plus. I also have these fabulous new Calvin Klein sweatpants. Oh there are adorable and comfy. But ANYWAY. Ohh maybe I need to blog about cute work out clothes...you know, to pull in the fashion and all that. ;)

Either way, this blog will again bring the fashion back, when you get to hear about the projects that will try to crush my soul. I also already have most of my Tee Time garments planned out, so be ready for that!

Anywho, let's end with a picture....let me see which one will be good...


How adorable is this picture?? It is my mom's family. From L-R, uncle Paul, Nagymama, Nagypapa, my mom, and in front aunt Marika, and oh shoot, which uncle is which?? This is embarrassing. I'm assuming it's Pete then George. Yeah. Sorry, family!

(I love ending on a completely random picture, don't you? But can we take a moment to notice how ADORABLE Marika's coat/dress is, how fabulous Nagymama's hat is, or how much my mom looks like Kathy?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics