Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sometimes, stereotypes are extremely accurate.

Let's put this out there right now: I am completely for abolishing the Student Organization Seating at the University of Alabama. It provides privileged seating to an undeserving group of people who feel entitled and who do not respect the privilege they are receiving. I understand that there are some groups and some people who sit there that do not fall into this category, but it is such a widespread problem that getting rid of the distinction between SOS and regular student seating is necessary.

Because today's game was not really a huge deal, and we knew it wouldn't be completely full, Annie and I decided to sit in the Honors College Assembly's section in the Student Organization Seating. I had heard mixed reviews of sitting there, but we figured we had not tried it yet, so why not? When we arrived, the student section was sad and empty. The frat sections were full of shakers presumably set there to save seats for the guys and gals who will show up 15 minutes before the game starts. We sat in the last row of the HCA section (this was a terrible decision. I repeat: TERRIBLE. DECISION.) and all the sections started filling up. At about 10 minutes before the game started, the row behind us was still empty. After 5 minutes into the game, some loud, very intoxicated boys showed up. Soon after, their loud, very, very intoxicated female counterparts decided to join them.

Now, I understand that there are a large number of students who like to enjoy the games while heavily intoxicated. Maybe it makes things more fun? I don't know. But that's fine. Just don't get messy drunk. And these boys and girls were VERY messy. And STILL drinking. At one point, the messy queen reached into her sports bra and pulled out a mini bottle of whiskey. CLASS-Y. After this, she decided to stand up on the seat next to Annie, shove her elbow into Annie's side, and yell something about her drink being empty. At about the same time, the boy and girl behind me decided the game was the perfect time for a heavy make out session.

Oh wait, let me back up here. During the National Anthem, I was amazed at how many people talked through it. It's extremely disrespectful, and you're just not supposed to do it.

But anyway.

At this point, Annie and I were pretty disgusted. Between the party going on between the seats, the knocking into our backs, and the slurred yelling, I had really had enough. But apparently, the lovely boys and girls (I will NOT call them men and women) behind us were not done with us. After the first quarter, at lease half of the Student Organization Seating cleared out. This included a portion of the HCA section. Please realize I'm not all DOWN WITH THE GREEKS in this. I recognize that some of the people in our section were not great either. But they weren't being sloppy, disrespectful drunks. About halfway through the second quarter, the boys behind us decided to light up some cigarettes. Annie is allergic to smoke, and I find it absolutely disgusting, AND you know, YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO SMOKE IN THE STADIUM. After a minute or two, I turned around and politely said, "Could y'all please put that out or move somewhere else?" And I got a dead look and a "I'm about to." And by "I'm about to" he really meant "I'm about to finish smoking this then throw the bit of butt left on the ground." Which is what happened. Next, he decided it would be an excellent idea to spill his drinks all over the ground. I guess HE didn't decide that...his messy drunk girlfriend decided to kick it over. My purse thanks you for that. The smell of whiskey is quite intoxicating. Haha punny.

Now, I have had drinks spilled on me at games. Several times, actually. Sloppy drunks exist everywhere in the stadium. The problem in the SOS, though, is that these kids feel entitled. After asking the guys to put out the cigarette, I got a lovely "F**king bitch" and they proceeded to state they were going to file a complaint against the honors college. Real nice. Towards the end of the second quarter, the guys thought they would get revenge for our wanting to enjoy the game by hitting us in the head with their shakers. Annie had had about enough, so she turned around and told them to stop. The guy responded by yelling in her face, "IT'S A CRIMSON TIDE GAME, BABY!" I'm still not really sure how that was a response.

At halftime, the student section CLEARED OUT. Literally. After watching the bands play, we didn't even have to stand back up. There was NO ONE in front of us. About halfway through the third quarter, we decided it was too cold, so we went for some dinner. Yes, I know. You can call us fairweather fans. But really. That was some COLD weather when you're wearing a dress.

So anyway. Back to the point. Why SOS seating should be abolished. In dealing with sloppy drunks in the regular student section, I got genuine apologies for their acts of stupidity. They really were sorry, and that makes a difference. In dealing with the frat boys behind me (yes, I will call them frat boys. yes, I will feed in to the stereotype.) I realized they were not the least bit sorry. They were appalled that we had infiltrated their Greek Section (because yes, that's still largely what it is.) and they were not the least bit sorry that they were affecting our experience at the game. They were more concerned with getting more drunk and making out than with watching the game. Which really begs the question, WHY do you come? I know Georgia State isn't exactly a threat, and yes, the game was pretty one sided, but you could easily get drunk, make out, and do whatever you want in the privacy of your own frat castle.

So there you go, friends. An entirely too long winded explanation of why I will never sit in the Student Organization Seating again. It was a terrible experience, and really reinforced the reason I don't associate myself with most of the people who sit there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Analytics